Returning pastors and exciting events were part of our 100-year anniversary. The centennial theme verse selected by the church was “… the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.” – Psalm 33:11 (NIV).
Grace Lutheran Centennial celebration and commemorative events took place beginning in late 2015 through Sept. 4, 2016. Each month, a special display about Grace ministries and programs was exhibited in the church lobby.
More information about the Centennial Celebration is available in the Centennial brochure:
Prior to the year 1910, the Lutheran Church was unknown in Hendersonville, and practically in the whole of Western North Carolina. At that time, a few Lutheran families from central North Carolina and South Carolina found their way to Hendersonville. During the year 1914, The Rev. J. H. Wannemacher, of Hickory, NC, then Chairman of the Executive Committee of Missions of the E. L. Tennessee Synod of North Carolina, visited Hendersonville to canvass the Lutherans living here as to the prospects for beginning a mission. He preached, as did The Rev. Dr. Patterson and others, in the County Court House on Sunday afternoons several times during the winter of 1914-15. From January to May 1915, The Rev. Prof. Martin L. Stirewalt, of Lenoir-Rhyne College, had charge of the monthly services, being assisted by other members of the faculty. During this time, the Methodist Church was offered for afternoon services and the offer accepted.
Services were conducted during the summer of 1915 by various ministers and seminary students and an active Sunday school was begun. Sunday morning, July 30, 1916, after an inspiring sermon by The Rev. C. L. Miller of Greenville, SC, the congregation voted that a Lutheran congregation should be organized in Hendersonville. A month later on Sept. 3, 1916, the Lutherans of Hendersonville met to complete the business organization of their congregation, adopted a constitution and elected officers. The church began.